ISAIAH STEEN (15-0, 12 KOs)
VS. KALVIN HENDERSON (14-0-1, 10 KOs)
- Date: Friday, July 23
- Time: 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT
- Where: Heartland Events Center, Grand Island, Neb.
- TV/Stream: Showtime
- Division: Super middleweight (168 pounds)
- Weights (from Thursday): Steen 166, Henderson 168
- At stake: No titles
- Pound-for-pound ranking: None
- Odds: Not available
- Also on the card: Janelson Figueroa Bocachica (146.5) vs. Shinard Bunch (146.5), welterweights
- Prediction: Steen UD
- Background: This card is as much about the 20th anniversary of Showtime’s popular ShoBox: The New Generation series as any of the fights that will be televised. The series has showcased 84 fighters who have gone on to win world titles. Could Steen or Henderson be next in line? Steen is the half brother of U.S. Olympian Charles Conwell. The 24-year-old product of Cleveland also has a solid amateur foundation — he reportedly was 85-15 in the unpaid ranks — and has power, as his record indicates. He last fought in November, when he stopped Juan De Angel in five rounds. Henderson, a 31-year-old from Arkansas, is also a boxer-puncher. He reportedly had 70 amateur fights and has a high KO percentage, including stoppages in his last two fights. Both principals will fighting in their first scheduled 10-rounder. They were scheduled to meet in October but Henderson pulled out of the fight because he was ill.